Photo courtesy of Martin Hay

Monday 23 January 2012

Mike

This is my friend, Mike. He took residence in my room about a week ago:

Mike, the selenopid crab spider
Mike and I have an agreement. Normally, Mike stays under the wardrobe during the day, but has free reign of the floor of the room at night, after I've gone to bed. I normally bump into him when I need a wee at 2am. Today he seemed to have over-stepped the boundaries of this agreement and perhaps is trying to negotiate some more floor time.

Mike doesn't seem to have a web, so I don't know how he manages to hunt. I saw a fly scoot past him just now and he didn't even flinch. I'm concerned he's depressed or lonely. I'd be quite please if he did decide to eat some of these annoying flies.

The good thing about having Mike around is that I'm not scared to leave my door open to let air in during the evenings any more. I mean, what could come in that is uglier than Mike! He's good at helping me put the world into perspective.

1 comment:

  1. That - is hilarious!! (With my zoological hat on, many spiders just hunt like normal creatures do!) I love the pragmatism!

    ReplyDelete