Photo courtesy of Martin Hay

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Keren in Juba!

My very good friend, Keren, was placed in Yida (the 'transitional'/refugee camp in Unity State, northern South Sudan) very unexpectedly and at the last minute - she was meant to be going to Uganda. Go figure?

For one night only, and for a few hours, we were able to go to the pub and catch up. It was exciting and surreal to be hanging out with someone I know so well in such a foreign environment. It made me feel closer to home and made the world seem like a much smaller place. I'm very thankful for the treat of seeing her.

We attempted to take a nice picture of ourselves to mark the occasion. We took about 6. They were all terrible. Below is the best shot from my camera. My face says, "come on, this one has to look ok"?! Thinking those sorts of things doesn't really bring on the 'natural look'. Hey-ho. Keren in South Sudan!!

Keren, me, my room.
This is the last time we saw each other. Photo taken on the day I left for South Sudan back in September.  I  believe we both are wearing the same tops.




1 comment: